"Red-dy and Waiting"
Oil, 12"' x 12"
I am a very frugal person. (Ok. To be perfectly honest, most of the time I am a frugal person. Not like every second.) But I am especially cheap when it comes to buying art supplies. This year I am trying to get more organized with my art supply purchases. (You may have figured that out if you read my two previous blog posts titled Attention All Canvas Hoarders and Paint Probation.)
When I buy art supplies I buy them very cheaply. And I thought I would share how you can save money too!
Here are some of my tips on how to save when buying art supplies.
1. Don't ever pay for shipping. Thank to Amazon, free shipping is becoming the norm and not the exception. So don't pay for shipping. Ever.
2. Only buy your art supplies on sale. Which means you will have better luck buying them online. I just checked online at Jerry's, Michael's and Dick Blick and they are all having big sales. This happens usually every week.
3. Beware of discounts only offered on "regular priced items". It's easy to get lured in when you see "40% off your entire purchase". But read the fine print because that often applies only to non-sale items.
4. Always look for a coupon code before you "check out" when purchasing online. Just google "Dick Blick" coupon codes and you just might find another coupon that works. I would say this works about 50% of the time so it's worth it!
5. Shop the sales at Michael's AND use their coupons. Michael's is one of the stores that usually have coupons good on sale items. And they usually always have a 40% off regular price coupon which is good on expensive oil paint.
6. Keep an inventory of your supplies (especially paint) so you don't have to waste money by ordering last minute. This needs no further explanation.
7. Stay out of the art store. Buy online. For most of us going to the art store is like being a kid in a candy store. It's too tempting and very easy to impulse buy. So stay out of the art store to save money.
8. Don't rush to buy items. Often you can wait for a big sale and save even more.
9. Add the apps to your phone from your favorite art stores. Every week I check my app from Michaels stores. I check the ads on canvas and paint. I often find their best quality canvas 50% off with an additional 20% off sale price coupon. That's a good deal.
Mom. Wife. Artist. Marketer. Teacher. Radio Show Host.
My Favorite Things
Some of my posts contain affiliate links for your convenience. Click here for full disclosure.